RS-12 operations

I only work RS-12, so here are my thoughts to the newcomers wanting some
information on satellites.

RS-12
            uplink            downlink
MODE K   21.210- 21.250    29.410- 29.450
MODE A  145.910-145.950    29.410- 29.450
MODE T   21.210- 21.250   145.910-145.950
MODE KA  modes K&A at same time
MODE KT  modes K&T at same time

Mode A requires a technician or higher class license.
MODE K & T requires an extra class license for 21.210-21.225 (usually
the CW signals) and an advanced class license for 21.225-21.250

A General class licensee may not transmit in the 15m uplink.

Upgrading your license is beneficial, as the 15m uplink is often clearer
and stronger, due to HF equipment having a greater output than average
2m SSB/CW rigs, antennas being equal. And 15m allows the possiblity of
working the satellite below the horizon.

RS-12 is a fun bird, and a great one to try for newcomers. You can even
hook up a code key to the PTT of your 2m FM rig to try it out (although
I wouldn't stay with that setup for long.) This is because an
unmodulated FM signal is in effect a CW carrier, but FM rigs do not have
the flexible tuning of an SSB/CW rig.

For more on how to operate RS-12 and over the horizon QSOs check out pp
85-86 of the August 95 issue of QST. Check your local library or a ham
friend.

As far as equipment, MODE K a good HF rig setup will do, provided it has
independent tuning of each band (when you switch back and forth between
15 & 10 the tuning stays where you left it) or you have a second
receiver. For mode A, any 2m all mode rig will do, but I recommend
either a beam or an amp to get a good uplink signal. I have used 25
watts and a dipole, but I could only be heard in the middle of the pass,
and not at all on the low passes.

For more information on satellites, I got a copy of the Satellite
Anthology book from ARRL for $12. It gave me good background on
satellites and I use it often as a resource material. Good luck, and I
hope you give the birds a try... and if you need ARK for your Satellite
WAS, give me a call, I'll be happy to work you!

73 es GL,
AC5DKevin