RE: What is the best equipment?

At 08:21 PM 6/8/98 -5, you wrote:

Bruce, you don't need an Advanced or Extra ticket to work RS-12, you need a
General ticket.

I also was very appalled at your comment of "why upgrade your license?" Any
one that talks about upgrading their license, should be encouraged not
discouraged. A General or higher ticket, offers much. Satellites are a
great part of Amateur Radio, at the same time HF is a much bigger part of it.

I have been and am still very interested in satellites, I have spent
thousands and thousands, to wait for a bird to pass in range to make a
contact, it's great fun and I have learned a lot. But when a fuse blows or
the computer crashes, your done, till it's fixed, if it can be.

A general or higher can turn on a $50.00 Heathkit DX-60B and toss a hunk of
wire in a nearby tree and work the world.

Please check your facts.

73 Dave

>> My name is Daniel Kurry, KE4SSB.  I have been a ham since 1994 but never
>> really became involved.  I am considering upgrading my no-code technician
>> license and working the satellites.  If anyone has recommendations as to
>> the BEST equipment, or software, please let me know your opinion.
>
>why upgrade your license? of course for hf that is a great idea. but
>you can use all the satellites up there right now except for rs-12
>which requires either an advanced or extra license.
>
>as i said in the email i sent to you when you first asked, go to the
>amsat web site and browse the information that is there.  it should
>answer most if not all of your questions.
>
>there are also links to other amsat sites around the world with more
>information.
>
>personally, i prefer to use instant track because i can control my
>rotors on a 8088 computer or higher. sometimes i have used a little
>one floppy 8088 laptop at field day to control the antennas. this
>program can be purchased along with your membership to amsat.
>
>for logging, pda's logic 5 is superb. not only can you track all the
>satellite awards but also hf awards. it links to the internet and the
>dx cluster to monitor spots. etc etc etc. you can get a demo version
>of it from http://www.hosenose.com
>
>73...bruce

>Bruce Paige, KK5DO                         Internet: kk5do@amsat.org
>Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
>AMSAT Area Coordinator
>ARRL Official Bulletin Station, Awards Manager (WAS, 5BWAS, VUCC), VE

>10-X International Contest Committee Chairman
>Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on SBS 6, T3B, 6.2MHz at 74 degrees.
>Also affiliated repeaters in North America. Also available on Real Audio at
>http://www.amsatnet.com                Visit SHOT http://www.clarc.org/shot

P.S. If you, like myself are interested in buying and selling nice clean
old radios, please see my BA web Page at
http://home.revealed.net/qste/sale/index.html

       J. Dave Mayfield KB9BNR

http://home.revealed.net/qste/bnr/kb9bnr.html
          kb9bnr@revealed.net