RE: What is the best equipment?

> My name is Daniel Kurry, KE4SSB.  I have been a ham since 1994 but never
> really became involved.  I am considering upgrading my no-code technician
> license and working the satellites.  If anyone has recommendations as to
> the BEST equipment, or software, please let me know your opinion.

why upgrade your license? of course for hf that is a great idea. but
you can use all the satellites up there right now except for rs-12
which requires either an advanced or extra license.

as i said in the email i sent to you when you first asked, go to the
amsat web site and browse the information that is there.  it should
answer most if not all of your questions.

there are also links to other amsat sites around the world with more
information.

personally, i prefer to use instant track because i can control my
rotors on a 8088 computer or higher. sometimes i have used a little
one floppy 8088 laptop at field day to control the antennas. this
program can be purchased along with your membership to amsat.

for logging, pda's logic 5 is superb. not only can you track all the
satellite awards but also hf awards. it links to the internet and the
dx cluster to monitor spots. etc etc etc. you can get a demo version
of it from http://www.hosenose.com

73...bruce

Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator
ARRL Official Bulletin Station, Awards Manager (WAS, 5BWAS, VUCC), VE
10-X International Contest Committee Chairman
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on SBS 6, T3B, 6.2MHz at 74 degrees.