VK5MIR over Australia (Publicity) - unclassified

I created something of a media story here in Canberra (VK1) after I talked
to Andy VK5MIR on saturday morning at about 5.40am local (UTC-10) --
1938-1947UTC 05JUN98.

Andy said I was the first VK1 he'd talked to. I decided to see whether
Amateur Radio could make a story on a slow-news long-weekend and made up a
news release and sent it to several radio, TV, and print outlets. Nothing
happened on Sunday, except for putting the tape of the conversation on the
local Amateur Radio club weekly broadcast (pm Sunday).

Then in quick succession, on the public holiday Monday:

- I was interviewed by the local station of the national broadcast network
(Station 2CN 666am, ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
http://www.abc.net.au/2cn for 5 minutes just before their 9am news
(including a play over the phone of some of my taped conversation with
Andy.)

- I was contacted by the Canberra Times http://www.canberratimes.com.au/
for an article and photo. (See their site. It's on the rigth frame of the
site's 'front page'. The article was Page 1, and ABOVE the fold!

- As a result of that, this morning, a local commercial radio station MIX
106.3FM did an interview for about 3 minutes leading off after the 7am
news. I managed to get a mention in of the AMSAT web site, so it might get
a few hits today as a result...

Late news: I've been called for a TV interview with a local commercial
station for the evening news!

So, the lesson is to have a quirky news story on a slow news day and put
out a release. Amateur Radio got some good publicity, which I am glad for.
That was the point.

I already have the story up on my web page:
VK1KEP:   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/vk1kep.htm

And... Thanks, Andy, for a great conversation.
Godonya, mate.
(Decode of Aussie-speak: Good on you, mate == Thanks, friend.)

     _  .      Peter R. Ellis, Amateur Radio Op. VK1KEP
   _-' |_|\         at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
  /        \        email: peter.ellis@dao.defence.gov.au
  \_.--._ C/        Director,
         \/         RNARS Australia #1528 (see also http://come.to/rnars/)
          v         Custodian for club station VK1RAN
VK1KEP:   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/vk1kep.htm
Mine:          http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/pre-pers.htm

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home