RE: FT 847 AND FT736

Dan,

The IC-821 is a good bet, it got a good review in QST. From a computer
standpoint it's good, the Icom interface allows upto 4 radios on the
same COM: port, which I like.

I don't know if the Kenwood TS-790 is still made, that's a good radio
too, and again with no serious computer problems.

It used to be a selling point that you could add extra bands inside the
radio, the TS-790 allows this, whereas the IC-821 does not. However, I
would not recommend this extra band approach, it has been shown that
adding RX and TX converters at the mast is cheaper and better link wise.

So all in all, the IC-821 seems good. I believe it is 9600 baud packet
ready as well.

Its a shame that Yaesu did not show more intelligence. They make a real
good radio but don't include the computer stuff that will be needed for
2.4GHz and above for 3D. The Doppler really can only be corrected
automatically at these frequencies, and you need to have control of the
radio dial.

BTW I have no real preference for brand, I'm only concerned that user's
don't get stuck with old technology. Icom and Kenwood have addressed the
issues, whereas Yaesu has not address them in its satellite radios.
Their HF radios do not have these problems, daft really considering it's
the satellite radios that really need these extras.

I have personally an IC-970 radio (great radio but overkill), if I was
starting again I'd get the IC-821.

Cheers
Paul, VP9MU