resend]: can't readback FT-847 frequency]

Looking at the FT847's cat commands, it looks like they just
used the same brain-dead cat control circuitry as they did
on the '736.   (The commands are all virtually the same.)

  I suspect that the other Yaesu CAT controllers which are used
on the HF rigs aren't capable of operation with a full duplex
rig,  and yaesu was too cheap to develop a new controller
for just the low sales volume satellite rigs...

  In any event, reading the current frequency is only a small part
of the problem.   The '736 (and probably the '847) also lock out
the front panel during CAT operation,  thus making it necessary
to do frequency and mode control via computer, while still
forcing you to use the front panel for such mundane things
as volume control...

IMHO, a bigger weakness in the 736/847 cat system is the fact
that neither radio acknowledges that it successfully performs
(or didn't perform) a command.

  It's possible (but tedious) in software to keep a good idea of
the state of the rig, if you know all commmands are performed.
Unfortnately, with the 736,  you have no way of knowing
(Other than hoping) that a particular command was ever recieved
by the rig, so it's very easy for a software bug (or comm line
noise etc.) to disrupt the relationship between what the
radio is doing, and what the computer thinks it is doing...
(This may seem silly, but the '736 ignores many commands
such as frequency changes in terrestrial mode if the rig is
keyed.  It's very easy to lose track of what a 736 is doing
under computer control, but keyed by an external TNC etc...)

  IMHO, once p3d is launched, and operation in higher bands
(where doppler shift is greater) becomes common,
automatc doppler correction
is going to become the norm,  and the rigs which sell
best will be those where human and computer control can best
be performed at the same time...    If I'm right, yaesu
isn't going to be a major player...

  -al
  WB1BQE

Doug Howard - KG5OA wrote:

> Richard & -bb,
>
> I spoke with the Yaesu sales representative at the Arlington, TX
> Ham-Com
> convention about this very subject yesterday. Officially, he said that
> Yaesu had absolutely no intentions of fixing this problem with either
> the
> FT-847 or the FT-736R which has the same problem. When asked why, he
> stated
> that it didn't appear to significantly affect sales of either product.
> Personally, I thought this was a pretty snotty attitude for a major
> radio
> manufacturer to take, but that is just my opinion.
>
> He did go on to explain that a fellow named Chip (whose last name I
> can't
> remember) has communicated these problems to Japan and is in
> negotiations
> with them to try to get this problem fixed along with a few others. It
> appears that this Chip fellow is the American technical liason to
> Japan for
> Yaesu. The sales rep said that it has historically been very difficult
> convince Yaesu Japan to change anything about the design of their
> radios
> unless it represents a negative affect on the sales of a particular
> product. So it looks like our hopes of getting this modification
> accomplished rests with the negotiation skills of Chip. I wish him the
> best
> of luck.
>
> Technically, this feature does not preclude any mode of operation that
> know of. It would be nice for logging programs and other software
> functions. But as I told the Yaesu sales rep, I was surprised that
> they had
> not gone ahead and fixed the problem in the FT-847 after they made the
> mistake in the FT-736R and had received negative feedback about it on
> that
> radio. This is especially true since it would probably take a good
> sofware
> engineer just a few days to fix the firmware. Then they could burn the
> new
> PROMs and send them to the folks that requested them. Not a difficult
> thing
> when you think about it.
>
> "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat history"
> seems
> like an applicable quote.
>
> I don't think this is the answer that we were all hoping for, but it
> is the
> latest answer to your question that I can provide as of yesterday
> afternoon. Hope this is helpful.
>
> 73
> Doug - KG5OA
>
> At 06:54 AM 6/7/98 -0700, Richard Parry wrote:
> >A few weeks ago I saw a few email messages that discussed the
> inability of
> >the FT-847 to provide a computer with its current frequency.  In
> other
> [...]

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home