RE: Low audio from FT-847

Sounds like the easiest solution would be to use a small audio
transformer, 8 ohms to 400, 600, or 1000 ohms--whatever's close enough to
work with your headphones. Put it somewhere between the rig and the
headphones. If you use the headset for other radios, make an adapter,
phone plug to transformer to inline phone jack.

Then when the warrantee expires, you can install the transformer in the
radio if there's room and/or you're brave.  :-)

73,
Peter - KD7MW
---
Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Santillo, John wrote:

> Hi Lee, I found out from Yaesu that the front  headphone plug of the
> FT-847 can only drive a 4 to 8 ohm load.    I use a Heil headset with a
> headphone impedance of 400 ohms.  I spoke to Heil and they offer 200 ohm
> replacement elements but that's not  going to be good enough.  For the
> time being I'm using an old DSP unit to buffer the output of the FT-847
> to the headset.  Both Heil and Yaesu stated that the other should revise
> their design to suit each others products.
>
> '73s
> John  N2HMM

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home