Re: Sats for everyone at FieldDay!

Aloha

There is also no more frustrating time to work the satellites than FD...
All the people who have never worked the birds are trying, and failing to
find themselves.

FD isn't the time to try a new mode on the birds, but it is a Great Time to
demonstrate them to others....

eg. - 2 FDs ago I demo-ed AO13 and AO10 to some hard core HF-ers.... they
were impressed!!! and had a fun time listening to themselves.

    - I tried RS12 mode K for the first time... (low class license at home,
high class for FD....) since I hadn't done it before, I blew the chance I
had to work a station who heard me. (I didn't make THAT mistake again)

    - I was on RS10 - and spent an entire pass calling CQ as all the people
trying it out for the first time were busy not finding themselves .... lots
of dits and swishing...

    Last FD - we went with some HTs, beam antennas,and made a couple of
quick contacts on AO27 - Hawaii to California and to another FD site on our
island.

SO, Please, make sure you practice before you go out and clutter it all up
:-) :-)

But, yes.... I've worked portable, 2M beam propped on a chair or hanging
from a tree... 70cm beam propped on another chair  (wooden or plastic)...
10M vertical put up somewhere.... hand held antennas and more...

73 and listen for us.... WH6CZB (probably) in BL01  and if you are in a
state I need, I'll work you with my own call too :-)

aloha - ted - nh6yk

>There is no easier time to work the AMSATS than FD.  No preamps, no power
>amps, no rotators and no complex hardware.   Just set up your rigs
>barefoot in middle of a field.  Run 10 feet of coax to the beam antenna of
>your choice, get someone to hold and point the antennas and work em.
>
>Most of the usual complexity of working the Oscars is because we want to
>run them from our shack in A/C comfort so then we run 100 feet of coax, so
>then we need preamps at the antenna, and power amps to make up for the
>loss.  THen we need AZ/EL rotators to remote control the antenna, and a
>tower to put it on because our shack is not in the middle of a field....
>
>At FD, think basics.  For a 10 minute pass, anyone can hold the antenna...
>
>de WB4APR

                       ted Brattstrom and Lisa King
  ted@hawaii.edu   nh6yk@amsat.org   nh6yk & nh6yu   http://165.248.121.94
             EDTECH   EARC   Pearl City High School   PCHSARC
 UH College of Education   Aspiring Planetary Geoscientist   Zen Penguinist

    Want Info on a Teacher / Student / Ham Radio Trip to Midway Atoll??

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home