Re: DC Protection

If I may add to this thread, one thing that should not
be overlooked:  when using in-line fuses, BOTH the
plus AND the minus side should have fuse protection
of the appropriate rating.  This is particularly important
if you happen to use a mag. mount on the roof of your
vehicle.  I learned this "trick" the hard way!
Thanks for your attention.

73 de @ndy
WB2GZM/VK3JJH

Chris Hill wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't get your name, however I would think the simplest, cheapest
and quite effective method is to put a fuse in series with the supply, and
have a 16V Zener diode across the equipment side of the fuse.

If the vehicle supply rises above 16V, then the Zener will conduct, and blow
the fuse.  If the vehicle has it's battery installed backwards, the Zener
will also conduct, and blow the fuse!  Neat.

This is a standard method of protecting 12VDC-powered equipment.  Costs
about $1.20

73 Chris, VK6KCH

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home