(Fwd) Galaxy 4 Failure

 STATEMENT BY ROBERT BEDNAREK

     SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER

     20 MAY 1998, 12:15 A.M. EASTERN TIME

     Regarding the Galaxy IV domestic U.S. communications satellite.

     "At approximately 6:00 p.m. Eastern time on May 19, the Galaxy IV
     satellite experienced an anomaly within its on-board spacecraft
     control processor (SCP), the primary system responsible for
     pointing the spacecraft relative to earth. The automatic switch
     to a backup unit failed as well. As a result of the SCP
     anomalies, the satellite began to rotate, thereby losing its
     fixed orientation. While PanAmSat is able to receive telemetry
     from and send commands to the satellite, full operation of the
     satellite's attitude control system has not been achieved at this
     time. PanAmSat has deactivated the communications payload at this
     time to conserve power. The satellite is in a stable, safe mode,
     and engineers at Hughes Space and Communications Co., which built
     the spacecraft, are examining all pertinent data to determine the
     causes of and potential solutions to the anomalies.

     "PanAmSat has advised its Galaxy IV customers that the satellite
     will remain out of service until Wednesday morning at the
     earliest. We are helping customers with short-term restoration
     plans for their satellite transmission requirements. In addition,
     given the size and flexibility of PanAmSat's global satellite
     network, we are examining long-term options in the event that we
     cannot reactivate the satellite, including the use of available
     capacity on other PanAmSat spacecraft with domestic U.S.
     coverage.

     "PanAmSat is deploying all possible resources within our company
     and the satellite communications industry to ensure continuous,
     high-quality transmissions for their video and telecommunications
     services."

                 ©1998 PanAmSat, All rights reserved.
                      Headquarters - Greenwich, CT USA
                             Tel: 203-622-6664