propagation, aerostats (balloons), etc - unclassified

Not quite space, but... I've found that VERY high balloons are almost
spacecraft...

I  am  currently  researching  for  an assignment at the Australian Defence
Force  Academy  (ADFA)  in  the  subject  "Communications  and  Information
Systems".

The  scenario  is  a  comparison  of  VHF/UHF  versus  HF  propagation  for
communications to/from northern Australia, (ie the tropics) with particular
interest  in using aerostats (balloons) as a means of extending radio range
at both VHF/UHF *and* HF.

I would appreciate any advice (direct email please) on useful prediction
programs, papers, etc,
on range extension, anomalous propagation, etc.

I have visited many Web sites, but please email me in case I've not heard
of one you know about.

Thanks,

     _  .      Peter R. Ellis, Amateur Radio Op. VK1KEP
   _-' |_|\         at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
  /        \        email: peter.ellis@dao.defence.gov.au
  \_.--._ C/        Director,
         \/         RNARS Australia #1528 (see also http://come.to/rnars/)
          v         and (soon) Custodian for club station VK1RAN
VK1KEP:   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/vk1kep.htm
Mine:          http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/pre-pers.htm

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home