Re: Clifford Buttschardt on Drake Downconvertes

I spoke at length with Dan at Comnet (dan@comnetcorp.com) about two months
ago and he told me that the Drake downconverter was a discontinued (by
Drake) item and would eventually run out of stock (I think he had about 280
left then).  He was exceptionally helpful and complementary of all the Hams
that he had worked with.  He sent me/us a couple of other units to
experiment with to see if they could be used as a replacement for the
Drake.  I have the California Amplifier unit and I gave the other, more
promising (I think it was a Pacific Monolithics), one to one of our
microwavers here to work on.  The us I refer to is the Houston AMSAT group
and the Houston ATV group.  These units appear to work in a similar fashion
to the Drake.  The advantage they seem to have is that the front end is
broader (so that it would cover both MDS and MMDS).  I have no idea yet how
the IF will behave though.  They both appear to work with the same x256
frequency multiplier system that the Drake does.  I have been in the midst
of a move to Indonesia (now in some turmoil) and have not been able to work
on mine.  I hope to get a report from Rick at our HATS meeting on the 20th.
 By the way, Dan also donated a 2.4GHz patch antenna to HATS for our
testing.  It could be the answer to covenants and restrictions for ATVers
here.  Once HATS finishes with it, we will test it for AMSAT use.

If you have any contact with COMNET please thank them for their donation
and continue to represent the Ham community as well as others have done.
We will post any information to this list as our experiments progress.  By
the way, the COMNET webpage at http://www.wirelesscabletv.com/ appears to
be down.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to route them directly to me at
rls@sparkles.com.

Ron Sparks
KC5ODM

At 12:31 PM 5/13/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 12:23:40 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Clifford Buttschardt <cbuttsch@slonet.org>
>Subject: 2400 MHZ downcoverters
>
>Hi all.   What is the latest situation regarding the Drake 2880
>downcoverters that can be modified to 2400 MHz operation?
>
>Both Drake and Comnet seem to be out of stock.
>
>Who remains as a supplier and for what price?
>Cliff K7RR

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home