Update: AMSAT at Dayton Hamvention

This message provides additional information concerning AMSAT's activities at the Dayton Hamvention.  The original message, released on April 27, is reproduced below.

1.  Booth Activities

The initial e-mail listed a number of updated and new items that will be available at the AMSAT booth this year.  In addition to that original listing, AMSAT will also be offering the following:

a.  "MacDoppler":  A new MacIntosh software package which provides both antenna pointing (Yaesu G-5400 rotors) and doppler correction (Icom IC-821H Transceiver, Yaesu FT-736R Transceiver, and  AOR A3000A Receiver) for a given satellite that is being tracked.   This is a very sophisticated package that handles both analog and digital satellites.  Complete information will be available at the AMSAT booth.

We expect to have MacDoppler on demo throughout the weekend. The software developer, Don Agro, will be at the AMSAT booth from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm on Friday as well as from 10:00 am to 11:00 am and 2:00 pm to  4:00 pm on Saturday to provide detailed information and answer your questions concerning this product.

b.  "Fly Your QSL":  AMSAT announced last week a new program for people to have their QSL card digitally scanned and recorded on a CD-ROM which will be secured to the Phase 3-D spacecraft.  Complete information is available on the AMSAT web site (www.amsat.org).   AMSAT will be accepting QSL cards with donations at the Hamvention.

c.  Membership Special:  New and renewing memberships at the Dayton Hamvention will receive the newly revised "Amateur Satellite Frequency Guide."    This laminated frequency chart lists all frequencies and modes for all amateur radio satellites  (plus MIR and SAREX) currently in operation.   This incentive is available at the Hamvention only.

d.  WiSP Registration Special:  Individuals who register copies of WiSP at Dayton (or pickup the program on diskette), can obtain a copy of the newly updated "AMSAT-NA Digital Guide" at a significantly lower suggested donation level.  The "Digital Guide" now includes complete installation and setup instructions for WiSP-32 which was written by Steve Bible, N7HPR.

2.  Hamvention Volunteers

I have received confirmation from 16 people who have indicated that they can help man the booth.  We can use a number of additional volunteers.  Booth hours of operation are 1200-1800 Friday, 0800-1700 Saturday, and 0800-1400 Sunday. We are asking  No prior experience is necessary.   Send me an e-mail ASAP and let me know :

a.  What hours are your willing to volunteer (Please volunteer for one hour periods or multiples thereof) during each day that the commercial exhibits are open.  The commercial exhibits are open Friday 1200-1800,  Saturday 0800-1700, and  Sunday 0800-1400.  If you can help at various times during the Hamvention, please provide a prioritization as to which specified periods are best for you.

b.  Include your name, callsign, and e-mail address in your message.

c.  Indicate any special skills that would be helpful, such as familiarity with specific products available through AMSAT, particularly software such as WISP and NOVA.  While we are looking for volunteers to help with the 'crush' of normal exhibitor activities, it would be helpful to know who can assist in software demonstrations or answer particular questions about various aspects of our hobby during a particular shift.

A workshift schedule will be released tomorrow confirming initial assignments.  Volunteers are expected to drop by the booth early Friday afternoon to reconfirm work assignments.

Many thanks to K9EK, KG2IC, AA2GF, KA0SNL, WD9IYT, K0BLT, NP2L, WA1QXR, N3KHK, W8XF,KK3K,  W5IU, W3OTC, WA3GOV, N8NUY, and WB8CKI for previously volunteering to help out.

3.  AMSAT Dinner

A reminder that AMSAT will be having it's annual dinner on Friday evening, May 15, at the Amber Rose Restaurant in old North Dayton.  Please send an e-mail to Ed Collins, N8NUY to get on the reservation list.  His  e-Mail address is:  EdCollins@worldnet.att.net.   We also ask that you RECONFIRM your dinner reservation with Ed at the AMSAT booth no later than 3:00pm on Friday afternoon.   This process will ensure that AMSAT can provide an accurate 'head count' to the restaurant.  Directions to the restaurant will able available at the AMSAT booth.

As of last week, I understand that 40 people have signed up for the dinner.

Once again, please consider volunteering to help out at the AMSAT booth. With a great deal of activities happening at our exhibit, we can use the additional assistance.

See you at Dayton!

'73
Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Field Operations