Re: MIME/ascii/HTML annoyance etc.... -Reply

> Well, I didn't want to get into this,

I didn't want to get into it either.

> Gentlemen, IMHO, you are 'making sounds' EXACTLY  like the AM gang
> did when griping about those "damn Single Side Banders"  back in the late
> '50s! ... my heavens, it MUST take at LEAST 3 extra seconds to download
> the MIME or HTML version of the message ... really a big deal, eh?

I think you are grossly underestimating the
problem.  Some of this HTML will clobber some
"state of the art" mail readers (and I'm talking
Microsoft here) that are less than a year old,
and by clobber, I mean result in faults that
terminate the program, result in the loss of all
messages received prior to the HTML message, and
lock up the mail server so that no other mail can
be received until the offending message is
removed from the server, either by using another
mail reader or with the assistance of the ISP
superuser.  I have lost over 500 messages thanks
to people using HTML in their messages. It
doesn't happen anymore, because I finally
switched to another mail reader, which is not as
convenient as the one I used to use, but at least
doesn't bomb on HTML messages.   Even programs
that handle HTML have problems because the new
programs are putting newer and newer and neater
and neater features that are only handled by
their software, without thinking about what
happens to the recipients.

> And ... no, I do NOT include HTML nor do I use MIME ... I do it in text, but I
> surely don't mind when I receive an Email which has both.  Is this issue
> REALLY worth arguing about?

 I think that in virtually every other mailing
list I am on, the use of HTML is considered as
being poor manners, and I think it should be here
too, so I think it is worth arguing about.  To
purposely use a format that you know annoys most
of the recipients of your message, and causes
damage in the way of lost messages or
annoying work to delete the messages  to others,
just because you (and I don't mean you
specifically, but those that use HTML in general)
think that the rest of the world should use the
same software that you do shows a great lack of
consideration for the other readers of the list.
 I do NOT think that sending a 1 line message
encoded with 3 or 4 pages of font and
highlighting info is really an advancement in the
state of the art of communications.  It would be
more efficient to include another sentence saying
highlight the third word and color the 4th word
blue, or something like that.   The problem with
all these new mail formats is that the changes
are coming out MUCH faster than the reader
software can keep up with the changes.  It is
unreasonable to expect the readers to change to
new software every couple months.  There are
other ways of getting fancy info to those who
want it. You can make it available on a web page,
or you can include it as a zipped attachment,
since a binary zipped file won't bother most mail
readers.  Sending it as the text of the message
is at best poor manners, can be worse.

| Bill Jones, N3JLQ,Sweden, Maine  Zone 4 1/2  |
| wejones@megalink.net                         |
| http://www.megalink.net/~wejones             |