Re: 10m pre-amp

I have to agree with Paolo. I used a GAP vertical for lots of analog passes
of both RS-10 & RS-15 (known for it's poor downlink signal) without
problems.  Obviously the better the receiver/antenna, the less likely it is
that you'll need a pre-amp. I was happy with the results and made plenty of
contacts, that's all I was after.

Mark - N0NSV

Paolo Pitacco wrote:

> Richard W L Limebear wrote:
>
> > Mode-A without a 10m pre-amp is like using internet without
> > a computer; I don't think you'll find many folks *not* using them.
>
> I disagree !
> For several years we have made contact without problems via mode-A,
> a preamplifier was used only for over line-of-sight contact with the
> satellite (under horizon via RS for example), or when the uplink
> conditions of other station was very poor (portable stations).
> A nominal HF transceiver has all the necessary (and over in some cases)
> sensitivity; in a city, the preamplifier is to be avoid, expecially
> when a big CB's signal came from a house near you!
> My best result via mode-A was obtained with a E-W dipole.
>
> Obviously, this is my viewpoint and experience, no a rule!
>
> 73 to all, de Paolo, IW3QBN [AMSAT Italy]

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home