Re: Original sound of SPUTNIK-1 telemetry

I thought that this was so neat that I converted it to Real Audio and
have placed it on our home page http://www.amsatnet.com

So you can listen to it without having to download it. Of course,
credit is given to Bill, VK3JT for his efforts in preserving this
historic moment for us.

73...bruce

> From:          "WG4- Takeyasu, Yoshiyuki" <YTakeyasu@ICOPC.CO.UK>
> To:            amsat-bb@AMSAT.org
> Subject:       Original sound of SPUTNIK-1 telemetry
> Date:          Tue, 21 Apr 1998 02:51:59 +0100

> Hello All,
>
> Have you ever heard original sound of SPUTNIK-1
> telemetry ?
>
> This is not REPLICA but ORIGINAL !! You can
> get the sound at:
>
> ftp://ftp.jamsat.or.jp/pub/sounds/sputnik/sputnik.zip
>
> This telemetry sound was received and recorded
> by Bill/VK3JT Mr.William Magnusson, 41 years ago
> in Melbourne. It seems there were many radio
> amatures who received the signal, but a few
> recordings are preserved.
>
> Receiver : William Magnusson
> Date : 1957 October 6th.
> Time : 0955 - 1255 Z (one of four orbit passes)
> Frequency : 20.001 Mc/s
> QTH : Melbourne, Australia
> RX : EDDYSTONE Model 680X
> ANT : Dipole on 15m hight
> Tape Recorder:BYER Model 66
>
> The FTP'ed file is .WAV of 1-minute sound. The file
> size is a little bit large (ZIP'ed 600kB), but
> I beleive it worth downloading. Enjoy it !!
>
> The sound is digitized by Yoshi/JA6XKQ, by the
> courtesy of Bill/VK3JT. The file is FTP'ed by
> Tak/JA2PKI.
>
> 73 - Yoshi Takeyasu / JA6XKQ @VK3

Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator
ARRL Official Bulletin Station, Awards Manager (WAS, 5BWAS, VUCC), VE
10-X International Contest Committee Chairman
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on SBS 6, T13B, 6.2MHz at 74 degrees.