Re: FT-847 Fan noise

At 06:49 PM 4/24/98 -0500, Dan James wrote:
>The information below is forwarded from the WSVHF reflector.
>
>I don't have an 847, nor can I claim the 'fix' described here works...
>however, I would like to thank Dave, K4TO for the information. Because of
>the number of 847's that are showing up on the satellites, and because that
>radio is of prime interest on this reflector, I've repeated the message
>here.
>
>  --73 Dan NN0DJ--
>
>----------

Hi Dave and the rest of the group.

You need to be careful of what type of foam that you use. What you are
doing is slowing the fan down by adding the foam over the fan. If the radio
needs as much cooling as the fan puts out and you slow down the air flow
the radio will run hotter. What I would recommend to do is use a regular
piece of filter media used on a/c units as that will not restrict too much
air. If you want to see how much air that the piece of foam adds, go to
your a/c unit while the fan is running and open the filter grill and just
give the filter a little pull and you can see how much air that you are
restricting. This all adds up to reduced cooling.
I use muffin fans on my repeaters to force cooling into the cabinet to keep
things cool. The one that I'm building now I had one fan added to the
bottom of the case. This pushed enough air that I could feel the air coming
out of the top with no problem. When I added the filter media the air flow
was reduced so much that I had to add another fan to replace the air that
was lost by the addition of the filter media.

The bottom line is be VERY careful when putting something over the fan's on
your radios...You might not like the results!!!!

73, Bill N4XEO
e-mail: stonehvn@gate.net
home page: http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo
F.A.D.C.A.: http://www.flnet.com/~crosby/fadca