Re: Oscar Locator apology

Hi David,
In the 80' when I began with the sats RS I used the EQX published by CQ-DL
(Germany). Since I had no software I was able to calculate the schedule "by
hand". Later I wrote I simple program in Basic for the C-64 to do the
calculation. I think the equator crossing time (EQX) would be very
important for the circular orbit for all people that do not want to use a
computer or is in a situation where computer cannot be used.
73 de Rogerio, PT2TD

At 03:28 PM 4/19/98 +0000, David Zatopek wrote:
>Hi Ron,
>
>In Nova, I use the view from space looking down on the earth from the north
>pole and a NASA style range circle on my location.  I also show a ground
>track for the satellite of interest. No screen dump attached...;-)
>
>At best, this is only a cartoon of the OSCARLOCATOR since 1) the projection
>of the map differs, 2) the ground track has no time scale and, 3) the range
>circle  doesn't have the spiderweb of azimuth and elevation information.
>
>In a recent email, someone asked me if the equator crossing times are still
>published somewhere.  I think not, perhaps someone on the reflector knows.
>They are an output option in the Quicktrack program and probably could be
>obtained, with some massage, from other software.
>
>z.
>
>At 09:04 19/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Several people took me to task for posting a large attachment. I forgot
>>that it is a problem in some parts of the world. To those who were offended
>>please accept my apology.
>>
>>Furthermore I was wrong in saying that the Nova display is identical to
>>Oscar Locator. At first glance they look similar. The difference is that
>>the edge of the Nova display is your local horizon. The Oscar Locator was
>>based on a world map projection centered on the North Pole. Part of its
>>setup was a 'squashed circle', called a spiderweb, which was centered on
>>your location and showed your horizon.
>>
>>I did get a couple of requests from newer members who were interested in
>>the history of these things. I do think that even now it makes a nice
>>starting point when explaining sats to someone new, even though they will
>>quickly transition to a computer program.
>>
>>Full details are to be found in the Satellite Experimenter's Handbook,
>>first and second editions. The inside back cover has the map and an
>>Appendix explains it all else in Marty's usual clear style.
>>
>>73, ron w8gus.
>>

>David Zatopek  Dallas, Texas USA
>home: dzatopek@unicomp.net
>work: dzatopek@corgan.com		tel: +214.748.2000	fax:  +214.744.1916