Re: Oscar Locator apology

Hi Ron,

In Nova, I use the view from space looking down on the earth from the north
pole and a NASA style range circle on my location.  I also show a ground
track for the satellite of interest. No screen dump attached...;-)

At best, this is only a cartoon of the OSCARLOCATOR since 1) the projection
of the map differs, 2) the ground track has no time scale and, 3) the range
circle  doesn't have the spiderweb of azimuth and elevation information.

In a recent email, someone asked me if the equator crossing times are still
published somewhere.  I think not, perhaps someone on the reflector knows.
They are an output option in the Quicktrack program and probably could be
obtained, with some massage, from other software.

z.

At 09:04 19/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Several people took me to task for posting a large attachment. I forgot
>that it is a problem in some parts of the world. To those who were offended
>please accept my apology.
>
>Furthermore I was wrong in saying that the Nova display is identical to
>Oscar Locator. At first glance they look similar. The difference is that
>the edge of the Nova display is your local horizon. The Oscar Locator was
>based on a world map projection centered on the North Pole. Part of its
>setup was a 'squashed circle', called a spiderweb, which was centered on
>your location and showed your horizon.
>
>I did get a couple of requests from newer members who were interested in
>the history of these things. I do think that even now it makes a nice
>starting point when explaining sats to someone new, even though they will
>quickly transition to a computer program.
>
>Full details are to be found in the Satellite Experimenter's Handbook,
>first and second editions. The inside back cover has the map and an
>Appendix explains it all else in Marty's usual clear style.
>
>73, ron w8gus.

David Zatopek  Dallas, Texas USA
home: dzatopek@unicomp.net
work: dzatopek@corgan.com		tel: +214.748.2000	fax:  +214.744.1916