Re: NASA proposed project: TRIANA

My vote is a resounding *NO!*

This is, in effect, a waste...Not just of Taxpayer money, but of resources,
as well as objectives.

I do *NOT* see the "educational objectives" this would provide.  Sure, it'd
be a great website, and yeah, we'd see the earth in constant sunlight...but
what other use would this satellite serve?

I would compromise.  Why not strap a webcam onto a satellite going into
geosynchronous orbit instead?  Of course, I think that's why weathersats
were invented, but at least we'd see the earth in real-time.  No need to
waste money on our own satellite when we could "hitch a ride", no?

With the money saved, there'd be enough left over to put more cameras on
satellites going on other parts of the world in geosync orbit...heck, ther
might be enough left over from the budget to buy BOOKS...

It's faster, cheaper, better...which is what NASA wants, no???

Just my humble opinion, I could be wrong...
Greg

__________________________________
>Subject: NASA proposed project: TRIANA
>Author:  <SeeSat-L@cds.plasma.mpe-garching.mpg.de> at internet
>Date:    03-04-98 7:45 PM
>

>NASA has released a Request for Information (RFI) seeking input from the
>education community regarding the Earth Observing Satellite which was
>recently proposed by Vice President Gore.  The prime objective of this
>proposed project, named TRIANA, is to provide a "real time" image of the
>full sunlit disk of the Earth for educational outreach opportunities.
>Images from the satellite would be available through an Internet World
>Wide Web site to be maintained and updated by the educational community.
>
>For full information on the RFI visit the following address:
>
>http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/ese/nra/Triana-RFI-4-1-98.html
>
>Please forward this message to colleagues who may be interested.
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\EUDORA\Attach\RFC822.TXT"

*  I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as    *
*    all those censurious, self-righteous people   *
*    around me.                                    *
*  Gregory S. Williams                             *
*  ke4hsm@icx.net                                  *
*  http://user.icx.net/~ke4hsm/index.html          *