FT-847 Replaces FT-736R

I spoke with a Yeasu Rep at AES today and he confirmed that the
FT-736 will be going out of production in a very short while if it
isn't already.  The FT-736 will be replaced with the FT-847.

I spoke to him about the lack of the ability to add modules and he
said it would have to be done with external transverters.

I also asked him why Yeasu doesn't have the ability to have the
computer read the frequency of the radio and he did not think this
would be a problem since most people want the computer to control the
radio.  I mentioned that I like tuning the radio better than clicking
mouse buttons and  want the computer to read the freq for logging
only.  The Amsat lecture was about to start so I did not have time to
continue the discussion.

One thing that I did notice is the radio is much smaller that I
thought it would be.  In comparison to the TS-850 which is similar in
size to the 736 (I think) the FT-847 is about 2/3 the height of the
TS-850.

Chuck Gooden
Rockford, Illinois

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home