Re: Experience with R-1051B HF Receiver?

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, George Hoffman wrote:

> Is there anyone out there who has experience with the R-1051.  It appears
> to be a shipboard unit so if you used it I would appreciate your comments

It was THE MAIN HF receiver on every ship in the Navy in the 70's and 80's
and probably today on most still.  It is Excellent.  But it is also
nothing I wouild ever use for HAM radio.  They cost tens of thousands of
$$$ but I couldnt sell one I came across at a hamfest.  I just left it for
a freebee after I left.

It is a mechanical monstrosity.  Gears and chains connect the 6 front
panel knobs to turrets and moving boxes.  Although it is ROCK stable with
a crystal plexer synthesizer, that only works on 1 KHz increments.  If you
want to operate anywhere else, it has an UNCALIBRATED RIT.  Useless for
packet or anything requiring un atteneded operations.

Plus it does not continuous tune.  To tune up the band, you have to twist
each know from 0 to 9 and then BACK to 0 for every digit!
Absurd.  Fine for fixed navy use, but useless for HAM use...

My personal opinion only... your milage may vary...

de WB4APR

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home