RE: Need some help . . .

I had sent this answer earlier this month.  Perhaps it got lost into the bit
bucket.

73,
Ed
 ---------------------------------------
Hello, Jeff,

It sounds like they do not fully understand amateur radio.  Dave offered a
number of excellent suggestions.  They are taking a "just in case" approach
that will ensure that there is no risk that either your transmitter may emit
spurious signals or their receiver may be subject to overload.

There is not anything "illegal" about an overloaded receiver.  OTOH, it is
still a deficiency in the reciever that is would be the root cause of a
problem.

If it were me, I would do the following:

As technical info, obtain the test data on the equipment you intend to use.
 The ARRL Lab files contain more info than is published in the Produt
Review, so we should be able to help.  I do note that your ARRL membership
expired a few months ago, but perhaps now that you are interested in being
active again, you would like to rejoin.  If you would like to, I will
arrange to send you photocopies of the ARRL Lab's test data as a thank you
for joining. This test data would include the results of our measurements of
harmonics and other spurii.

Obtain a copy of the FCC Rule Book.

Then, approach the Person In Charge of These Things to discuss this.  You
can explain about the long history of cooperation between Amateur Radio and
the US military, discussing MARS, the National Traffic System, the
cooperation between the FCC and NTIA.  You can even use the Rule Book to
demonstrate that Amateur Radio shares a number of bands with the military!

You can then point out that we share frequencies with the military on a
secondary basis and that you do indeed understand their concerns about
possible interference.  Miltitary receiving equipment is rather well built
and it is very unlikely that legal amateur operation would cause problems --
otherwise, most of our potential foes would probably  give all of their
military permission to operate ham radio. :-)

Let them know that the FCC regulates amateur radio and that no special
pemission from them is needed to operate, so only the necessary
administrative approval of the base is needed.  Then, offer to
demonstrate,perhaps with a handheld, that no harmful interference will
result.  Offer further that, if interference does occur, even if it their
recievers instead of your transmitters, you are fully prepared to stop
operating immediately on whatever frequencies cause problems.  You could
also offer that the Person In Charge of These Things approve any and all
equipment, antennas, frequencies, modes, etc., and that any changes to your
station be authorized by him/her.

You can point out, too, that althoug FCC regulations permit 1500 watt
operation by hams, your operation is well below that limit.

These are a bit extreme, and would not be necessary (or appropriate) in a
civilian environment, but under the circumstances, I would presume that a
military command structure has absolute authority.  In these cases, I have
generally found that by demonstrating to them that they still have complete
control, you will increase the likelihood that they will let you do what you
want.

Good luck,

73 from ARRL HQ,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab

>From: Jeffrey S Austin
>To: Bob Bruninga; AMSAT; Steven Bible; Butler, Frank (Southeast Dir);
Martin Davidoff;
>Kanode, John (Roanoke Dir); Hare, Ed, W1RFI; Dave Finley; David
>Gordon; Michael Rupen; kp4ffw
>Subject: Need some help . . .
>Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998 1:19AM

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home