Re: Need some help . . .

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 01:19:32 -0500 Jeffrey S Austin <n8vna@gte.net>
writes:

>Bob-
>I need some help here. I've got a ham radio problem that's more
>political than technical but I'm going to win with a technical knock
>out.

>Just a quick QSO here, I'm active duty Coast Guard and currently
>work/live at Naval Security Group Activity Northwest in Chesapeake
>VA. The situation is that the base commander, based upon rules made
>by the former base commander, feels that amateur radio is going to
>interfere with the receivers here on base. The Navy's transmitters
>are in Suffolk and the Coast Guard's are in Virginia Beach. What I'm
>hoping to do is show her, with facts and figures generated within
>the Navy/Coast Guard, that her fears are unfounded.

Jeff,

There is nothing "political" about her decision.  All of
the military missions of that base are dependent on a
"clean" receiving environment. Many of them  (Can you say
"Naval Security Group"?) revolve around reception of very
weak signals.  There is a reason that base is isolated in
a corner of the Dismal Swamp, and the transmitters are
located many miles away.  *ALL* transmitters (not only
hobby radio) are forbidden on that base, for the simple
reason that the mission cannot be jeopardized, even for
seconds, by a stray uncontrolled emitter in the vicinity.

Either find off-base housing, or pack your transmitter.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home