Re: VP Gore's Proposal

Phil Karn wrote:

> I always get this strange mixture of alarm and amusement whenever a
> politician tries to play engineer.

:-)

> Aparently Al has never heard of GOES, TIROS, Meteosat, DMSP, Landsat,
> SPOT, orbital mechanics, or the inverse-square law (earth observation
> from 1 million miles??)

I think the point is to sample an entire hemisphere at the same time,
always completely lit by the Sun.   None of the above satellites do this
now.

As far as the inv-sq law applies, it shouldn't really be a problem; DSN
deals with more than 1M miles, right?

Ryan Brooks
N9YBX
ryan@inc.net

> Of course, all he has to do is get Congress to override the laws of
> physics and mathematics.  No problem; they do it all the time.
>
> Phil

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home