Re: PSK modems and noise

Steve Fraser writes:

snip

> My G3RUH modem seems to need a signal well above the
> noise (by ear anyway) in order to "lock" in

So does mine. So does my DSP2232 also.

> I can certainly hear by ear signals far weaker than the PSK modem
> wants to lock in to.

same here.

Extra thought:
There is some difference between the purity of AO-16 versus LO-19 data.
I think its phase jitter but I stand to be corrected on this.

What this translates to in real life is that I get cleaner decode of LO-19
at a lower audio pitch than is the case for AO-16.

I use gain antennas *and* pre-amps ... and still IO-26 is unreadable.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188