Re: 9600baud questions....

Yeah, OK, I guess the PBBS was really what meant 'packet' to me.  So,
then most of the ALL traffic is, like, general broadcasts or something.
Do people get annoyed if you chat using ALL broadcasts?

Also, on packet, you can broadcast to, like, subject names, CQ or DEBATE
or something.  Or is there any way to send a message, to like a mailing
list or group of people?  I assume if you put up a CQ message on a packet
sattelite it would get downloaded to all the PBBBS's on the planet --
right?

It sounds like the most stuff of general interst are pictures and telemetry
-- and there's not much converstaion going on.  Are most of the
people who play with these things moving traffic on and off from
local PBBSs?

John A. Magliacane wrote:

> > I don't think I've ever had explained to me what people do, exactly,
> > with the packet satellites?
>
> Very briefly, Pacsat satellites act essentially as fileservers in space.
> Groundstations may upload files to the satellite specifying a particular
> destination address (groundstation callsign).  Groundstation software
> requests and reads directory information from the satellite and decides
> what files it needs to download.  Such files may include those addressed
> to "ALL" or your callsign.
>
> Anyone within the footprint of the satellite may capture files and
> directory information broadcast by the satellite.  Pacsat satellites
> also interperse their file and directory transmissions with telemetry
> and status information, and generally create some of their own files
> for download.  These files include images of the earth taken by CCD
> cameras, log files showing who's been using the satellite, and other
> related information.
>
> Uploads and downloads may take place over numerous passes making it
> possible to transfer large files even though a Pacsat satellite may
> only remain in range for about 17 minutes.  For example, my first AO-16
> download was of an 80 kilobyte JPG image uploaded by a station in Italy.
> AO-16, by the way, operates at 1200 baud.  :-)
>
> The only digital communication satellites that operate in a manner that
> resembles the operation of a packet radio BBS are FO-20 and FO-29 when in
> Mode JD.  All the others (AO-16, LO-19, UO-22, KO-23, KO-25) utilize the
> FTL0 Pacsat Broadcast Protocol exhibiting the features described above.
> WO-18 will be added to this list once its primary mission of taking earth
> imagery is exhausted.  IO-26 will also be added once its OBC software has
> been uploaded.
>
> Most of the messages carried through Pacsat satellites are person-to-person
> messages similar to e-mail messages, but without the privacy.  Occasional
> questions, news bulletins, and Keplerian data files are addressed to "ALL"
> and are downloaded by all stations working the satellite.
>
> The 1200 baud AO-16 and LO-19 satellites can accept simultaneous uploads on
> as many as four uplink frequencies and place as many as 10 groundstations in
> their broadcast queues.  The more heavily used 9600 baud satellites (UO-22,
> KO-23, and KO-25) have queues that service the requests for as many as 20
> stations.
>
> AO-16 also has its digipeat function turned on, although it is seldom used
> since there is little practical use of digipeating packets off a satellite
> in space when the fileserver serves a much better function.
>
> 73, de John, KD2BD
>
> --
> Internet  : kd2bd@amsat.org          |  Voice : +1.732.224.2948
> Satellite : AO-16, LO-19, KO-25      |  Morse : -.-  -..  ..---  -...  -..
> [...]

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home