Re: Question about "Egg Beater" Antenna

At 10:32 2/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>A friend of mine is interested in the "Egg Beater" antenna system for
>LEO use. Does anyone have any comments about it. It would be used with
>just LEOS and perhaps some terrestrial work.

I borrowed the 2 meter version of the eggbeater from a friend at one time.
It worked quite well on LEO sats -- no null over the top.  (I had previously
heard him using it on the sats and was also impressed.)  With the 2m and
70cm versions, you can work FO-20 and FO-29.

The eggbeaters are horizontally polarized out to the sides (circular over
the top).  For terrstrial use they work OK for SSB, but since FM repeater
antennas tend to be vertically polarized, they're really only good for
close-in repeaters.

Ken Ernandes
n2wwd@amsat.org
http://www.mindspring.com/~n2wwd