Re: No More Mode "A" Please.

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 20:06:06 -0800 k0hb@juno.com (Hans Brakob) writes:

>N8OCX wrote a jeremiad which included:
>
>> It just shows that there are a lot of HF operators that are
>> Satellite operator Wanna-Be's.
>

>At some time or other *everyone* is a "Wanna-Be", and "Mode A" is
>a good vehicle to whet their interest.
>
>You admit that you yourself were first drawn in by this mode, but
>now that *you* have *moved up*, screw those damned "Wanna-Be's"?
>
>73, de Hans, K0HB

Greetings to all,

I simply couldn't contain myself after this flame of N8OCX.

Four years ago I was a dyed in the wool HF DXer.  Quite accidently I
heard a fellow DXer, N4ZC calling CQ RS-12 on 15 meters one afternoon.
After getting his attention on simplex I was given a 10 minute "lesson"
on what RS-12 was and how it worked.  On the next pass I had several two
way (On that nasty CW.) satellite QSOs and I was hooked!  Suffice to say
that I too became a wanna-be satellite DXer.  I have worked my only
"claimed" WAS and about 50 or so countries on the LEO birds.  My
satellite Elmer and dear friend
Joe, K0VTY designed a basic Mode B antenna array and now I'm living and
enjoying the wishes of a has been wanna-be.  I will support and use a
Mode A bird even after the successful launch of P3D.  The LEOS are where
I started and where I find the quality of operators far and above exceeds
(Even the beginner and wanna-be.) most of the dog eat dog DXers that
frequent the HF bands.

Sorry for the bandwidth but I simply couldn't sit idly by and not respond
to this thread.  I hit me right between the eyes!!!

73 and look for me on whatever bird happens to be up at the moment..  LEO
or high flier........

>You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get
>completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno
>at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home