Mode "A" responses

Dear Readers,

  When I cc: posted my comments on the AMSAT-BB I didn't expect to
start a thread.  It must have been a slow week for threads on the BB.
I was sort of trolling for input to see if others feel the same as I do
on the Mode "A" issue.  It seems I'm left in the outfield on this one.
Oh Well!!

  I did want to thank all those who responded and I wish I had time to
return mail to each individual.  However, the best I can do is try to
sumarize the messages I received.

  The responces were insightful and I learned of some unusual and
interesting ways to work Mode "A".  Antenna size seemed to be an issue
for some, not enough room for yagis.  For me, I have room for yagis
but not wire dipoles.

  I was surprized the term "Wanna-be" was taken to be derogatory by
some.  I should have made a better choice of terms.  When I hear terms
like "exotic" or "easy-sats",  I see them different than most, because
the "exotic" birds are the easy ones for me, and the "easy-sats" I
find difficult (no hardware).

  The main and most common point seems to revolve around the potential
for QRM from various modes.  I see now that regardless of which
satellite you may operate, we each need to be aware of how each mode,
A,K,T,KT,KA,B and J, effect our neighbors on both the downlink and
uplink.  I am reminded that I need to track each satellite that uses
either a uplink or downlink band I use, regardless of if I operate on
that satellite, in order to minimize the potential for QRM.

  One last thought;  When I was first interested in satellite 10 meter
downlink, I started to design a 10 meter "Lindenblad" that would use
surplus Decibel Products DB212 30 MHz folded dipoles.  The idea was to
get true omni-directional and circular polarization on a 10 meter
downlink. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks to All and 73
Brook Smith N8OCX
n8ocx@amsat.org