RE: No More Mode "A" Please.

On Wednesday, February 25, 1998 4:14 AM, jjensen wrote:
> Brook, as I read your comments below, two of your points stand out that are
> of significance in this discussion...  You mention that "Like many new
> hams, I had limited resources..."
> You also mention that HF operators are attracted to the RS birds... OK, you
> didn't put it quite that nicely, but that's the substance of it.  Both are
> excellent reasons to continue supporting Mode A's and the like.  We need
> the support that these types of operations generate.

> I too enjoy satellite operation due in part to the calibre of ham that can
> be found on the birds.  This because a certain amount of expertise is
> required to operate via satellite.  But to support the more "exotic" forms
> of satellite communication, we need to keep the "rank and file" interested.
>
> 73 de Joel, W0JDJ
> AMSAT #1795

Be careful Joel when you talk about the "caliber" of hams on satellites.
You might be branded as a "racist" or something like the pro-code people
on the USENET groups.  Let's not let this thread degenerate into something
like that please.

I can understand Brook's points against a Mode A bird, Mode A birds are
excellent for the beginning ham that wants to get into satellite
communications.  Yes they can cause QRM for the more exotic birds such
as AO-10 but that's life in the big city, no one is guaranteed a QRM
free QSO.  I know when RS-12 went to Mode KA (15/2 up - 10 down) some
time ago the people on 15 meters hated it too.  The biggest problem is
that you have hams transmitting on 15 and listening on 10 and NOT listening
on 15 for the QSO they just trashed.  I've had direct experience with
an S-9+ signal jumping right into the middle of my QSO and calling CQ
RS12 CQ RS12....  Of course this hasn't been much of a problem until
recently since the Sun is waking up again.  For a long time RS-12 was in
Mode KT (15 up and 10/2 down) but that was stopped, presumably because
of sunspots.  Mode A is ideal for high sunspot times because of less
possibility for QRM.

I guess the moral of the story is that we need Mode A birds to get new
hams interest in satellites.  Mode A doesn't need extremely high gain
antennas, low noise receiver/pre-amp combinations and such which can be
quite expensive.  Anyone with an HF rig and 2-meter all-mode can use
the Mode A birds.  I have a friend who uses his 2-meter HT into a 25 watt
amp.  He has a switch between his amp and HT that switches between the
amp and a dummy load to get pretty good CW.  Now this is not recommended
but it does work, he almost has his WAS.

Kevin, WB5RUE

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home