Space Experiment Module Opportunities

FYI, for those of you who might be interested.  DE PAT WD8LAQ

>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:29:33 -0500
>From: "Dr. Ruthan Lewis" <Ruthan.Lewis@gsfc.nasa.gov>
>Subject: Space Experiment Module Opportunities
>
>Hi there Space Experiment Module friend,
>
>There are two near-term opportunities for flying student experiments using
>the Space Experiment Module (SEM) in which you may be interested.
>
>The first opportunity is unusually IMMEDIATE, and calls for passive
>payloads (those that do not require power) for flight on Space Shuttle
>STS-91.  This mission will fly in May 1998.  At this point, the opportunity
>is as a backup to a payload that is scheduled to fly, but the payload may
>not make it due to recent technical difficulties.  Please note that it is
>very likely that experiments aboard this particular Shuttle will be exposed
>to freezing temperatures.  Here's the catch:  if you would like to have a
>passive experiment considered for STS-91, we must receive your proposal in
>electronic form no later than close of business Friday, February 13, 1998
>(I told you it was quick).  Go to the SEM website at
>http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov/sem and look under "How to Participate" for the
>application and also read the section on selection criteria.  If your
>student experiment is accepted, we'll need to have your experiment no later
>than February 24, 1998!  We realize this is a real challenge, but a good
>opportunity nonetheless.
>
>The second opportunity is to be considered for the Space Shuttle flight
>designated as STS-95.  This mission is scheduled to fly October 1998.  The
>timeline for this flight is as follows.  NASA will accept proposals for
>both active (requiring battery power) and passive payloads no later than
>March 9, 1998.  Candidates will be selected by March 16, 1998.  Candidates
>will be required to submit electrical schematics, mechanical layout, and a
>final materials list within the March/April timeframe.  This information
>will be further reviewed by NASA for acceptability.   Experiments will be
>due to NASA Goddard Space Flight Center no later than August 10, 1998.
>
>Again, for both cases, please refer to the Space Experiment Module homepage
>on the World Wide Web (http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov/sem) for further
>information on selection criteria, experiment development requirements,
>etc.  The website has been in a state of flux, and I apologize for
>difficulties you may have experienced with it recently.  Please be sure,
>however, to check it periodically for updates; it is a "working website".
>
>These are great opportunities.  Please pass the word to your friends and
>colleagues.  We hope you take on the challenge!  We're looking forward to
>working with you.  Good luck.  If you have further questions, do not
>hesitate to contact me.
>
>Dr. Ruthan Lewis
>SEM Program Manager
>
>mailto:Ruthan.Lewis@gsfc.nasa.gov

Patrick L. Kilroy                                            (ex-743)
SSPP Avionics Electrical Engineer   Phone:  301-286-1984
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    Fax:    301-286-1673
Building 5, New Mail Code 568       E-mail: pat.kilroy@gsfc.nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771          Web:    http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov

Visit SimSat website at http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/~simsat/index.html

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home