RE: Mode-A: wanted ?

Richard,

I would probably use it occasionally, as I did with RS-10, however my
interests really are in the higher bands. There is an argument for a
bird that can be used by "most" HF oriented amateurs. However remember
that nowadays most new amateurs don't have SSB at 2m, so they'd have to
buy a 2m multimode rig just to try out. If you're going to do that then
why not go the full way to P3D enabled and work the world for hours, not
your locale for 15 minutes.

>From Bermuda we can work both North America and Europe with windows
lasting about 5 minutes, the rest of the time your working the Atlantic.
This translates into LEO Mode A is good for demos but not for pleasure
working.

If AMSAT-UKs project does run, then I suggest that HF beacons be added
in a similar way to OSCAR-9. That would give the scientific community
and propagation monitors something as well.

Cheers
Paul, VP9MU
AMSAT-BDA

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home