Mode-A: wanted ?

Greetings

>From time to time there appear messages, papers, pleas etc saying that:

1) there is a need for Mode-A satellites for new satellite operators to
train on, as well as for those amateurs who prefer analogue rather than
digital operations; and

2) the present supply of Mode-A satellites is fast decreasing with the
demise of RS-10/11, problems commanding RS-12/13, battery troubles with
RS-15, and the non-availability of RS-16. No Mode-A spacecraft has been
produced by a Western group for the past 20 years (Oscar-8 in 1978).

so ...

Amsat-UK are giving some consideration to this state of affairs but,
before we go further, we need to determine whether a new Mode-A package
would a) be wanted; b) be used; and c) supported.

In other words do you, the satellite operators, want it to happen ? is it
worth someone's time and effort to design, produce, and launch ?

How many people would use a new Mode-A spacecraft ? it would be pointless
to spend several hundred thousand dollars if it only attracted a few
hundred users (so the cost is 1000 dollars per user). Would YOU use it ?

This several hundred thousand dollars doesn't just appear magically; the
money has to be raised from you, the satellite operators. Would you give
your own money to a group who promised to develop and launch a Mode-A
transponder ?

Please send your reply to these questions to me; they must arrive by
28 February 1998. Reply to:

Packet:    G3RWL @ GB7HSN
E-Mail:    g3rwl@amsat.org
Satellite: Oscars 16/19/22/23/25