(Fwd) 2.4 G omni antenna question

Good Morning All,
   This is not directly a satelitte question but with the knowlege
base here it seems like my best source.
    I have a friend who is putting together a atv robot using the
2.4 gig Wavecomm Jr. He is in a quantry as to what he can use for an
antenna. If he uses the original antenna he will need to add a way to
turn the antenna to point at the receiver. That leaves building an
omni directional 2.4 gig antenna.  Neither of use has anything in the
way of a swr bridge for 2.4 gig. nor any experience working in that
frequency range.
   Only ideas I have were a multiple wave lenght verticle. Say 3.5
wavelenght whip or maybe a discone antenna.
   The only discone information I can find at home is for an HF
discone. In the microwave bands it should be good over a very
large frequency range making it self matching but ....
    The large whip may work and since the Wavecomm is only running
around 1/2 watt it may not need much other that a couple of feet of
whip and call it good.
     Anyone out there have any ideas?  Since this in not strickly
satellite related please send responses by e-mail. Thanks, Mike
KA7HBB

  ka7hbb@navicom.com
 mike_nason@om.cv.hp.com

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home