AO-10 status

AO-10's signals are improving and are quite strong even at apogee, except for periods of deep QSB, which can be largely corrected by changing antenna polarization. These findings suggest strongly that AO-10 has switched (glitched) itself to its hi-gain antennas. There is probably a component of Z-axis wobble accounting for the QSB. As illumination has improved, the FMing heard earlier appears to have disappeared. The switch to hi-gains would also explain the often poor signals near perigee when the squint angle is particularly bad.

AO-10 is currently experiencing long (90 minute) solar eclipses with onset after apogee. The MA of onset will continue to increase and the length of the eclipse will continue to decrease until the period ends on February 23rd.

AO-10's apogee has moved into the northern hemisphere (ArgP > 180). Apogee will continue to rise higher to the north for the rest of 1998, peaking at ArgP = 270 in December.

I have updated my web page to include discussions of the above and updated,
smoothed keplerian elements.

http://www.cstone.net/~w4sm/AO-10.html

--
| |